Conspiracy theories aside. ( yeah OK the corporations are in control etc etc. Yes I agree, but back on planet earth ) My reasons for staying in are:
1. We will have more power/influence inside the EU than out. They will never listen to us if we leave. Maybe that’s a good thing you say. OK but read on.
2. The EU sets layers of legal protection against greedy corporations and banks from taking the piss in terms of maverick behavior, excessive work times, and living wages and no, it’s not perfect, but it’s there and it’s protecting you right now. Don’t say it ain’t, ‘cos it is, and if we left we’d have the wrong people in control of our rights as workers. Boris Johnson, for starters.
3. Work permits for us to visit EU countries ( that means YOU DJs! ) could become a reality if we insist on a points based visa work/immigration system like they have in Australia. Which is extremely likely when you consider the knee jerk reaction there has already been to the current refugee crisis.
4. Aside from its faults ( and yes there are many) I do believe the EU can be made better by us sticking around. Plus I like the fact that it has helped contribute to peace across Europe. Surely not a bad thing.
5. The current refugee crisis will be dealt with by all European countries pulling together. Not given over to a right wing “close borders” mentality. Which only serves to segregate and impoverish people who are at their most defenseless.
That’s my ten cents right there. There’s loads more where that came from (don’t get me started about the environment) but these are the main things I honestly believe are true. Shout at me, tell me I’m wrong, unfriend me whatever. I honestly think that pulling out is the most reckless and stupid thing we, as a country, could do. It will empower the racist far right just that little bit more and the banks and big corporations will have a field day and we will be the people who suffer.
👍 happy days.